Motion Sensor Security Flood Lighting - 120V vs Battery-Operated Wireless
Why Battery Operated Motion Security Lights ?
Battery-operated motion sensor security flood lights offer several benefits, making them a popular choice for various applications.
Here are some advantages:
Easy Installation: Battery-operated lights are typically easy to install since they don't require wiring or access to an electrical outlet. This makes them a convenient choice for locations where electrical wiring may be difficult or expensive to set up.
Versatility: These lights can be placed in various locations without the constraints of electrical wiring. This versatility allows you to install them in areas such as sheds, garages, pathways, and other outdoor spaces without worrying about the proximity to power sources.
Portability: Since these lights are not hardwired, they are portable. You can easily move them to different locations based on your changing security needs or to address specific areas that require illumination temporarily.
Cost-Effective: Battery-operated motion security lights are often more affordable than their hardwired counterparts. There are no installation costs associated with hiring an electrician, and the initial purchase cost is usually lower.
Energy Efficiency/Durability: No external power requirements, no potential power surge damage
DIY-Friendly: The simplicity of the installation process makes battery-operated motion lights a great option for do-it-yourself (DIY) projects. You don't need advanced electrical skills to set them up, which can be appealing for homeowners who prefer to handle installations on their own.
Safety: Because they do not require 120V, there are no concerns with operation around water and other potential electrical hazards
Remote Areas: Battery-operated lights are suitable for locations without access to a power grid. This makes them an excellent choice for carports, cabins, barns, sheds, attics, stairwells, storage facilities, temporary structures, marine and deck, campsites, or other remote areas where traditional electrical infrastructure may not be available.
Motion Sensing Technology: Many battery-operated security lights come equipped with motion sensors. This not only conserves battery power by only activating the light when motion is detected but also serves as an effective deterrent against intruders.
Emergency Lighting: In the event of a power outage, battery-operated lights can serve as emergency lighting sources. This can enhance safety and security during unexpected situations.
Pros and Cons of 120V Motion Security Flood Lighting vs Battery-Operated Wireless Motion Security Flood Lighting
Before weighing both options, determine the purpose and location for your motion sensor security lighting installation.
Here are a few considerations.
Purpose of installing Motion Security Flood Lighting –
- Crime avoidance and theft deterrence, criminals hate the light
- Increased Sense of safety and reduced potential vulnerability or exposure
- Improve ability to navigate a dark space, light your path before approach
- Reduce the need for a constant light source, significant energy savings
- Improve a layer of security and enhance ability to capture images more clearly
- Reduced interference of and Improved aesthetics in appearance of other layered lighting, ie Landscape Lighting, Hardscape Lighting, Grazing and Flood Lighting, Local “Dark Sky” requirements
- Reduced need for switching, convenience
- Proximity to available power
- Cost of bringing power to a location
- Physical appearance of exposed wiring, outlets, and potential exposure to landscape maintenance
- Where is it needed and too much vs too little
- Time of year and temporary vs permanent solutions
- Daytime aesthetics/appearance vs night time functionality
- Average Daylight Hours
- Security/Smart Home system compatibility